Professor of Aerospace Engineering
Allée de la Découverte, 9, B-4000 Liege, Belgium
Gaëtan Kerschen completed his Ph.D. degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Liège in Belgium in 2003. In 2003 and 2004, he was a visiting postdoctoral fellow at National Technical University of Athens and at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Since 2007, he has been a faculty member at the University of Liège, where he is a professor in the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. His publications are primarily in the areas of structural dynamics (with a focus on aerospace structures) and orbital mechanics.
He is the recipient of two European Research Council (ERC) grants, namely an ERC Starting Grant and an ERC Proof of Concept Grant, and of the 2017 Belgian Francqui Chair at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. He was one of the principal investigators of the OUFTI-1 nanosatellite launched by the Soyuz rocket in 2016 for which he received the Walloon Medal for Merit (Chevalier du Mérite Wallon). He is the co-founder of NOLISYS, a startup company which provides solutions and software for nonlinear vibrating systems.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPEN BUSINESS DEVELOPER POSITION for the
NONLINEAR IDENTIFICATION TO DESIGN (NI2D) SOFTWARE:
- 1 year position
- 2013 - Present: Professor, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, ULg.
- 2011 - 2012: Associate Professor, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, ULg.
- 2007 - 2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, ULg.
- 2005 - 2007: FNRS Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, ULg.
- 2003 - 2004: FNRS Postdoctoral Researcher, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign & National Technical Univ. of Athens.
- 1999 - 2003: Ph.D., Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, ULg, Dissertation: On the Model Validation in Nonlinear Structural Dynamics, doctoral dissertation.
- 1994 - 1999: MSc, Aerospace Engineering, ULg.
- Nonlinear vibrations: nonlinear modal analysis, nonlinear system identification, bifurcation analysis, constructive utilization of nonlinearity (vibration mitigation and instability suppression), signal processing.
- Aerospace structures: structural dynamics, finite element model validation, robust design decisions, structural and topology optimization.
- Smart structures: piezoelectric shunting, intelligent structures.
- Satellite orbits and astrodynamics: uncertainty quantification, optimal control, orbital rendez-vous.
- Nanosatellite design: CubeSats.
- 90 refereed journal publications: list
- 250 abstracts and papers in conference proceedings.
- 3100 citations, h-index=28 (Source: Scopus, excluding self-citations of all authors).
- Google scholar profile
- Springer book: A.F. Vakakis, O. Gendelman, L.A. Bergman, D.M. McFarland, G. Kerschen, Y.S. Lee, Nonlinear Targeted Energy Transfer in Mechanical and Structural Systems, Series: Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, Vol. 156, 2009, ISBN 978-1-4020-9125-4.
- SAGE Publishing Young Engineers Award, Los Angeles, 2017.
- Recipient of an ERC Proof of Concept Grant, 2017-2018.
- Recipient of an ERC Starting Grant, 2012-2017.
- Member of the Executive Board of the Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM), 2015-2017.
- Principal Investigator of the OUFTI-1 nanosatellite launched by the Soyuz rocket, Kourou, April 2016. See the video.
- Annual Speaker of the Danish Center for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, Copenhagen, 2013.
- Best paper, Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics (IMechE – Part K), 2008.
- Young Scientist Award, European Nonlinear Oscillation Conference, Saint Petersburg, 2008.
- Francqui chair, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 2017.
- Chevalier du Mérite Wallon, 2016, video.
- Belgian American Education Foundation (BAEF) Alumni Quinquennial Award, 2010.
- Fulbright award, 2003.
International awards earned by my researchers:
- T. Detroux, Best PhD Student Paper, ASME Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Boston, USA, 2015.
- L. Renson, Young Scientist Award, European Nonlinear Oscillation Conference, Vienna, 2014.
- J.P. Noel, Best PhD Student Paper, International Modal Analysis Conference, Garden Grove, USA, 2013.
- L. Renson, Best PhD Student Paper, ASME Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics and Control, Portland, USA, 2013.
National awards earned by my researchers:
- T. Detroux, BNCTAM Best Thesis Award of the year 2016, best Belgian thesis in mechanics. See the video.
- More than 7 MEUR of research funding secured as a principal investigator.
- ERC Starting Grant NOVIB, executive summary, 2012-2017, 1.3 MEUR.
- ERC Proof of Concept Grant, 2017-2018, 150kEUR.
- Wal'innov project MAVERIC, smart dampers, 2017-2021, 1.8 MEUR.
- European Space Agency (4 projects), 200 kEUR.
- Belgian National Science Foundation (13 projects and fellowships), 2 MEUR.
- Direct funding from industry, other funding agencies (Walloon Region) and internal funding at ULg: 1.8 MEUR.
- B. Lossouarn, Nonlinear piezoelectric absorbers, 2017-present.
- T. Detroux, Experimental bifurcation analysis, 2016-present.
- S. Dou, Nonlinearity tailoring using shape and topology optimization, 2016-present.
- J.S. Lee, Passive linearization of nonlinear resonances, 2016-present.
- H. Cho, Formation flying: analytical solutions for controller design, 2015-present.
- L. Dell'Elce, Robust maneuver planning applied to asteroid deflection, 2015-present.
- L. Masset, Global analysis of nonlinear dynamical systems, 2012-present.
- J.P. Noel, Data-driven modeling of nonlinear mechanical metamaterials, 2014-present.
ON-GOING PHD THESES
- T. Dossogne, System identification of nonlinear aerospace structures, 2014-present.
- G. Oger, Investigation of additive layer manufacturing in space applications and impact on system design, 2015-present.
- E. Verstraelen, Suppression of limit cycles using a nonlinear absorber, 2013-present (co-advisor; advisor: G. Dimitriadis).
FORMER POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHERS
- C. Grappasonni, Practical realization of a nonlinear tuned vibration absorber, 2013-2016.
- V. Martinusi, Analytic techniques for satellite orbit propagation, 2013-2016.
- G. Habib, Suppression of limit cycle oscillations using a nonlinear tuned vibration absorber, 2013-2016.
- E. Gourc, Experimental modal analysis of nonlinear structures, 2014-2016.
- L. Renson, Computation of bifurcations in physical experiments, 2014-2015.
- P. Soltani, Nonlinear piezoelectric shunting, 2013-2015.
- L. Masset, Innovative ray tracing methodologies for thermal radiation, 2009-2011.
- F. Georgiades, Friction-based smart mistuning of bladed disk assemblies, 2006-2008.
COMPLETED PHD THESES
- T. Detroux, Performance and Robustness of Nonlinear Systems using Bifurcation Analysis, 2016.
- L. Jacques,Space Thermal Analysis Through Reduced Finite Element Modelling, 2016.
- L. Dell'Elce, Satellite Orbits in the Atmosphere: Uncertainty Quantification, Propagation and Optimal Control, 2015.
- L. Renson, Nonlinear Modal Analysis of Conservative and Nonconservative Aerospace Structures, 2014.
- J.P. Noel, A Frequency-Domain Approach to Subspace Identification of Nonlinear Systems - Application to Aerospace Structures, 2014.
- M. Peeters, Theoretical and Experimental Modal Analysis of Nonlinear Vibrating Structures using Nonlinear Normal Modes, 2010.
- R. Viguie, Tuning Methodology of Nonlinear Vibration Absorbers Coupled to Nonlinear Mechanical Systems, 2010.
- F. Poncelet, Experimental Modal Analysis using Blind Source Separation Techniques, 2010.
- Editorial Board, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 2008 - Present.
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Mechanics - A/Solids, 2016-2017.
- European Nonlinear Oscillation Conference, Budapest, Hungary, 2017.
- 22nd International Conference on Computer Methods in Mechanics, Lublin, Poland, 2017.
- 35th International Modal Analysis Conference, Garden Grove, USA, 2017.
- EUROMECH Colloquium 573, Coupling and Nonlinear Interactions in Rotating Machinery, Lyon, France, 2015.
- 5th International Conference on Nonlinear Vibrations, Istanbul, Turkey, 2014.
- 22nd International Congress of Mechanical Engineering, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2013.
- 18th Symposium on Vibrations, Shocks and Noise, Paris, France, 2012.
- International Conference IMPACT, Djerba, Tunisia, 2010.
NOLISYS, Solutions and software for nonlinear vibrating systems.